Teacher Training Schools
Heslington’s Program is unique because:
• we are affiliated with the International Institute of Education (www.iie.latinamerica.org) – a part of the US Embassy in Mexico’s Department of Education
• we are certifying partners with American TESOL (www.americantesol.com)
• we have 8 years of experience hosting more than 800 international students and professionals
• we not only offer a semester abroad becoming TESOL certified, but a semester invested in personal and professional development
Obtaining a TESOL certification with Heslington offers the following:
• An international certification that allows any native speaker the chance to gain employment in the private sector in the US or abroad teaching English.
• Job stability --- the more certification and degrees one possesses, the more marketable one becomes. A TESOL certification may also open doors in current employment to having more responsibility (working with non-English speaking clients, becoming a community liaison, etc…). With a TESOL certification, you are also eligible for part-time teaching positions with organizations working with ESL learners and immigrants who live in your community.
• The ability to teach at hundreds of schools around the world for a year or two thus garnering valuable international experience.
• If you are planning on studying to become a teacher (Elementary or Secondary Education) you will eventually need to become ESL certified – why not start your career in education with a TESOL certification under your belt? Most universities that have Education Departments also offer TESOL certification (ranging from 20 – 60 additional credit hours) – at Heslington, you can get your certification in just ONE semester and you will accrue international teaching experience at the same time.
All participants will take class/study for their TESOL certificate for approximately 2 hours/day and teach for 4 hours/day. Teachers will be able to choose to teach children, teenagers, adults.
Your course fees cover all of the “little things” that make all the difference –
1. Heslington has a loving and dedicated local staff and recruiters who have lived the Heslington experience and can tell you first-hand what to expect on-site
2. Heslington arranges your flight (included in your course fee) and meets you at the airport so you know you will arrive to your location safe and sound
3. Heslington provides nice, modern housing for the duration of your stay so you don’t have to worry about finding a hostel, paying extra for a hotel or dorm or stressing about where you will live for 4 months – all utilities (gas, electricity, sewage, etc… are covered in the course fees)
4. Your course fees cover breakfast, lunch and dinner (Monday – Friday)
5. You will be able to take 3 hours of beginning Spanish lessons/week
6. 24/7 support is available in case of emergency
7. WiFi is available at the school for professional and personal use
8. Constant observation and feedback that are important factors in helping you
become a proficient and successful teacher
9. ]ob Placement assistance locally and from American TESOL’s professional network
10. A detailed Letter of Recommendation is given after successfully completing the program
The four-month program costs: $2,500.00 USD
This fee includes -
• TESOL certification training and diploma (books and online support included)
• Housing for the duration of your stay (shared bedroom in school apartment)*
• Meals (Monday-Friday) – light breakfast and dinner and large lunch
• Over 200 hours of in-classroom experience
• 10 hours of assessed teaching (observation and evaluation by experienced ESL teachers)
• Airfare included (from all Major US International Airports)**
• Airport pick-up
• Basic Spanish classes (3 hours/week) and culture workshops
• 24/7 local support to help you enjoy your Mexico experience
• A network of new English-speaking friends from around the world
• Job Placement Assistance
• Letters of Recommendation and International Certificate upon successful completion
*Housing with a host family can be arranged in certain locations – please speak with the Program Director for more information.