International ESL Jobs
Date: 7 August 2015
one TOEFL instructor Mon-Fri 10am-2:30pm
one ESL instructor Fri, Sat, Sun 8:30am-2:30pm
one ESL instructor Fri, Sat, Sun 10am-4pm
Salary:All qualified instructors start at $20/hour with possibility of increase after three month probationary period
As a licensed private career school, NYGC provides quality English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction to foreign students staying and immigrants living in the New York City area. Our courses are designed for students who want to learn English or further their language skills in practical areas of study as well as test preparation courses.
Our experienced instructors understand the specific challenges that students face while learning English and work together with students to develop strong communication skills. This method of student-centered interaction makes our English courses both exciting and rewarding, with quick progression, helping students pursue professional goals with more confidence and the necessary skills to succeed. The focus of the ESL instruction is to cultivate students' language proficiency for personal growth and development and academic studies.
1) Instructors must have accumulated at least one year of prior experience teaching ESL to adults.
2) Instructors must hold a baccalaureate degree, preferably in English, Linguistics, Education, or will hold a Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) degree. A highly qualified instructor would have a TESOL master's degree.
3) Instructors who hold a bachelor's degree outside the field of English or Education must hold a certificate in TESOL, TESL, TEFL, or CELTA which includes a practice teaching component.
4) Instructors must also meet the qualification for licensure by the New York State Education Department which include 3 credits in ESOL teaching methods from a regionally accredited college, university or a foreign university recognized by NYSED or 30 clock hours in ESOL teaching methods from a recognized NYS proprietary school association.
5) Instructors who first language is not English must also demonstrate near-native proficiency in English verified either by high scores on internationally recognized exams such as the TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, etc or through the interview process and demo lesson with the Academic Director.
6) Instructors who teach college preparatory courses should hold a Master's Degree in TESOL (or related field) and/or a degree in the area of instruction.
7) Instructors who teach TOEFL must be familiar with the test for which they are preparing the students and must have at least one year experience teaching TOEFL.
8) Instructors must be qualified to work in the US and must live within the New York metro area.
Please send your cover letter and resume/CV to the address listed above. The Academic Director will call in qualified candidates for an interview. During the interview process, a prospective instructor will be asked to teach a demo class in which supervisors and other instructors measure their teaching, classroom management, as well as language proficiency skills.