Learn to TEACH English with TECHNOLOGY. Free course for American TESOL students.

TESOL certification course online recognized by TESL Canada & ACTDEC UK.

Visit Driven Coffee Fundraising for unique school fundraising ideas.

Texas ISD School Guide
Texas ISD School Guide

Travel, Teach, Live in Europe and Middle East

How to Teach English in Europe Without Experience
By:Helen Jain

Teaching abroad is one way to see the world and different cultures without the worries of spending money and depleting your pocketbook. It is a relatively easy job for a native English speaker and it can be a rewarding experience that allows individuals to see the world through the eyes of a different nation and culture. Experience is not always necessary when it comes to teaching English in Europe.

Obtain a college degree. A degree in linguistics, English or teaching is ideal for teaching English in Europe, but it is also possible to find work as a teacher of English for those with business or similar degrees. A four-year degree is more desirable than just a high school diploma.

Get certified. There are certification programs, such as a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification, which will improve your chances of getting a teaching job in Europe without experience. Education can sometimes make up for lack of experience.

Apply to several European countries. Sometimes one country will only take experienced teachers while another country is less picky about experience. Applying to several different countries and jobs can improve the chances of obtaining a job without experience. Online applications are the most common way to apply to teaching positions in Europe. Send an application or resume to the positions that are available for English teachers. The process is similar to applying online for jobs in the states. Teachers can also apply at the location directly after arriving in Europe, but the financial risks can be high if a position is not secured before arriving.

Obtain a work visa and passport. A passport is needed before a visa can be granted. Plan for a month or so to receive the passport. Passport applications are available at local post offices. Fill in the information requested, obtain a passport photo, send the application with the appropriate identification paperwork and wait until the passport arrives. Apply for the visa after receiving the passport. Every country will have slightly different visa requirements, but most will have a similar process. Go to the country's website and click on the "apply for visa" button. The website will ask which visa, so click on the "work visa" button and then fill in the requested information. Some countries will require that the application be printed out while others allow online applications. Submit the application and print out the confirmation. Take the paperwork, passport, fees and other requested information to the embassy or visa office. The visa will be either granted or denied based on the country requirements, standards and background checks.

Work as a freelancer. Freelance English teachers in Europe often work as private tutors or teachers. This can take some work and advertising to get started, but it can be a great way to gain experience in countries where experience is required. This work can be obtained by putting ads in the local newspapers, putting ads up on local school bulletin boards, by word of mouth in the area or through ads on the Internet. Some ads, such as the newspaper, will have initial expenses that might seem high, but they are very useful in becoming employed.

Go to another board -