Learn to TEACH English with TECHNOLOGY. Free course for American TESOL students.

TESOL certification course online recognized by TESL Canada & ACTDEC UK.

Visit Driven Coffee Fundraising for unique school fundraising ideas.

Texas ISD School Guide
Texas ISD School Guide

Travel, Teach, Live in China

How to Teach English in Zhuhai, China
By:Leyla Norman

Teaching English as a second or foreign language is an important career in today's world of globalization where English is the most-used language in business and commerce. English teachers are especially sought after in China. They teach in schools for children as well as instruct professional adults in business English and instruct them in the culture of western societies.

The city of Zhuhai in Guangdon Province in China borders the South China Sea, and it is a city bustling with maritime life. Teaching English in this city offers plenty of sight-seeing opportunities and chances to learn about Chinese history and culture. (See Reference 1.)


Earn your teaching English as a foreign/second language certificate or degree. This will open employment doors to you in Zhuhai. Most reputable employers will want you to have a Bachelor's degree in addition to your TEFL/TESL certificate. See The TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Directory of Degree and Certificate Programs. (See Resource 1.) You can also take a TESOL course in Zhuhai. One such course is offered by TEFL International. (See Resource 2.)


Research language schools and open positions in Zhuhai. Check ESLEmployment.com, and the job pages at Dave's ESL Cafe website to get started. You can also search the internet for "ESL jobs and Zhuhai."


Also visit http://china.eslteachercafe.com/ for other teachers' experiences working in Zhuhai.

The U.S. State Department has an informative site for teachers considering teaching English in China at http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/teaching/teaching_2848.html. This site warns teachers to carefully review their contracts with any Chinese employer, and to receive their contracts from the employer directly instead of through an intermediary.


Get the necessary travel documentation to travel as an English teacher to Zhuhai. You will need a work visa and a passport. The work visa for China is called a "Z" visa, and you can obtain it from a Chinese consulate or embassy. (See Reference 2.) Find a list of Chinese consulates and embassies in the U.S. at http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm.

Go to another board -