English schools in the USA and Canada
The English Language Institute at The University of Southern Mississippi is here to help you
• Perfect your English,
• Prepare for TOEFL examinations,
• Discover the cultures of the United States,
• Enter an undergraduate or graduate
• Founded in 1947
• Experienced, professional instructors
• Small classes, 15 students maximum
• 25 hours of instruction per week
• Five levels of study, beginning to advanced
• Five eight-week courses per year
• Electives for Levels 3-5
• Computer laboratory
• Conversation Partner Program
• Access to all campus services and resources
World Class Experience
Located on the campus of The University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, the English Language Institute was founded in 1947 and is one of the oldest intensive English programs in the United States.
We are an academic community committed to providing students the necessary tools for admission to a university degree program. Skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking are critical to a successful entrance into the university community.
Our curriculum is designed to develop communicative competence in writing and speaking -- an emphasis reflected in the ELI Proficiency Battery, which includes a composition exam and an oral fluency exam. Students can enter an undergraduate degree program at The University of Southern Mississippi without having to take the TOEFL upon achieving a Proficiency 2 or Proficiency 1 rating on the ELI Proficiency Battery.
A Global Community
A degree from a United States university is important for anyone who competes in an interdependent global environment. Southern Miss will prepare you for participation in this new transnational economy.
The ELI is a member of the Consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs (UCIEP).