Use Your ESL Skills To Help Afghan Women From the Comfort of Your Home!
The Alliance for International Women’s Rights is seeking volunteer women ESL/EFL professionals who are willing to teach long-distance English classes to Afghan women.
The Alliance is a U.S. nonprofit organization devoted to supporting women’s rights efforts in developing countries, with a current focus on Afghanistan. Our efforts include increasing the English capacity of Afghan women leaders and future women so that they can better reach out to the international community for information, ideas, funding and to share their experiences with the world. The volunteer positions do not involve any travel – the volunteers will teach Afghan women and girls from the comfort of their own homes using Skype and E-mail.
Volunteer requirements are as follows:
• Must have a near-native proficiency in English with TESOL certification or teaching experience.
• Due to the Afghan culture and for the safety of the Afghan women and girls in our program we are only able to work with women teachers for this project.
• Volunteers need to have a reliable computer, high-speed internet, Skype software (free software is found at www.skype.com), and a headset.
• The volunteers will need to be available to teach one student for two sessions a week for a minimum of three months. Each class session generally runs for either 50 minutes or one hour, depending on the student’s availability.
• Although we are still in the process of determining the availability of the Afghan students, we anticipate that many of the classes will occur Saturday through Thursday, between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. and between 3:30 and 4:30 pm (days and time are in Afghanistan’s time). These times are not yet definite and may change.
• Interested applicants should determine if they are available during these times by comparing their local time to Afghanistan time. We recommend using an on-line time zone converter, such as this one: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html.
• We ask that applicants please determine their availability during the required hours before applying. We are only able to interview candidates who are available at the requested times.
Please consider using your skills to help Afghan women and girls. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer teacher, please complete an application form, found on our website (www.aiwr.org), and submit the form and your resume or CV to Lisa Herb at firstname.lastname@example.org.