Teacher Training Schools
IH is highly recognized worldwide in the teacher training area. International House was one of the pioneers in the development of practical teacher training courses. Our courses are recognized for training more efficient, more productive, more creative and more professional teachers.
This course is an induction to the teaching of English and it is aimed at individuals who want to initiate their career as English teachers.
It is a 120-hour course and includes:
- Learning theories
- Different methodologies for the teaching of English
- Different teaching techniques
- Class planning
- Development and use of didactic materials
- Class management
The TKT Course offers a balance between practice and theory. Different methodologies and learning styles are analyzed and students apply the knowledge they acquire when they teach classes. Feedback is given after each practical teaching session.
Upon completion of the course, the new teacher receives a diploma issued by International House and he/she can choose to take the corresponding University of Cambridge exam in order to get the TKT diploma.
COMPUTER-BASED TKT - A NEW WAY OF TAKING THE TEACHING KNOWLEDGE TEST
The only thing that is different about this exam, is the way the candidates take it.
The computer-based exam contains exactly the same as the traditional TKT. The qualifications and the grades are the same.
The CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is a certificate issued by Cambridge University which accredits English teachers at an international level. It is aimed at individuals who are interested in initiating a career as English teachers and it is, undoubtedly, the most widely recognized certificate worldwide. Over 10,000 people are awarded this certificate every year.
The CELTA requires a high English level on the part of the candidate. Therefore, it is aimed at native English speakers or candidates with CPE or similar qualification.
The ICELT (In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching) is a certificate issued by Cambridge University. It is aimed at people who are currently teaching English and who want to become familiar with the latest teaching techniques. Taking this course will enable candidates to reflect on their own teaching and to incorporate new techniques and methodologies into it.
The ICELT is a 150-hour course and it includes:
- Language analysis
- Learning and teaching techniques
- Updated methodologies and techniques
- Class planning and handling
- Development and use of didactic materials and resources
- Professional development
- Class observation and analysis
- Teaching classes, feedback included
The New DELTA
Following a comprehensive review, we are introducing a modular DELTA syllabus, which will replace the current syllabus from September 2008.
Here is a summary of the benefits:
• Flexible entry points for candidates.
• DELTA can be taken in stages over a period of time that can fit with career and other commitments.
• Opportunity to focus on specialist teaching, e.g. teaching young learners, business English.
• More flexible delivery, e.g. blended learning options.
• Individual modules can be taken as part of a programme of continuous professional development (CPD).
• Certificates for partial achievement, e.g. development as general English teacher.
The FTBE (Further Certificate for Teachers of Business English) is a certificate issued by The London Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation. It is a 33-hour course and it is aimed at people who are interested in being certified as business English teachers.
This course includes:
- Basic business skills development
- Basic business concepts development
- Development of teaching techniques and methodologies for the business class
- Differences between general English and business English
- Class planning