1) Hawaii has eight main islands: Niihau, Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, and the â€śBig Islandâ€ť of Hawaii.
2) Hawaii is the most isolated population center on earth. Hawaii is 2,390 miles from California; 3,850 miles from Japan; 4,900 miles from China; and 5,280 miles from the Philippines.
3) Hawaii is the only U.S. state that grows coffee.
4) More than one-third of the worldâ€™s commercial supply of pineapples comes from Hawaii.
5) From east to west, Hawaii is the widest state in the United States.
6) The Hawaiian Islands mountain range tops are the biggest in the world.
7) Honoluluâ€™s zenith star (the star that rises directly above it) is named Arcturus. The Hawaiians called it Hokuleâ€™a (Hoo koo lay uh).
The first Asian-American in the U.S. Senate was Hawaiiâ€™s Hiram Fong. Senator Fong was descended from Chinese immigrants.
9) Hawaii was the 50th state admitted to the U.S. union on August 20, 1959.
10) Hawaii has its own time zone (Hawaiian Standard Time). There is no daylight savings time. Hawaiian time runs two hours behind Pacific Standard Time, and five hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
About the Author: Copyright 2005 Donna Monday Cruise the beautiful Hawaiian Islands â€“ even if youâ€™re on a budget http://www.last-minute-hawaii-cruise.com