We'll be celebrating Julia Child's birthday on August 15th and I thought it would be the perfect time to dig up some great Julia Child quotes. After all, not many female celebrities can compare to the class and culture this woman exhibited -- even if she didn't manage to match them in beauty.
Of course, Julia is most well known for teaching us the finer things in culinary life. From eating right (and that did not, in her book, mean dieting) to enjoying your life to the fullest, Julia had quite a few tidbits of sound advice to offer. Let's remember her on the anniversary of her birth with these ten insightful quotes.
1. "The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook."
2. "I think the inner person is the most important. . . . I would like to see an invention that keeps the mind alert. That's what is important."
3. "Being tall is an advantage, especially in business. People will always remember you. And if you're in a crowd, you'll always have some clean air to breathe."
4. "In department stores, so much kitchen equipment is bought indiscriminately by people who just come in for men's underwear."
5. "Dining with one's friends and beloved family is certainly one of life's primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal."
6. "Non-cooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet."
7. "The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a 'What the hell?' attitude."
8. "You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients."
9. "In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."
10. "Life itself is the proper binge."
For those of you who would like to believe that living long doesn't mean avoiding all of life's most delicious foods, Julia Child could be your hero. She lived to be more than 90 years old, and we all know she ate foods with fats and butters and creams (and she drank gin to boot!). Take that you Atkins fanatics! Take that you low-fat, low-calorie diet freaks! If you didn't love her before, these ten Julia Child quotes might just change your mind.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular www.Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.