Once in a while a musician just doesn't have talent, he or she has depth and understanding that seems almost spiritual - and a few of the Johnny Cash quotes I've read suggest that the man was one of these rare souls. Wondering what I mean? These twelve quotes sum it up nicely...
1. "How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell. There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man."
2. "You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way."
3. "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."
4. "What have I become, my sweetest friend. Everyone I know goes away, in the end."
5. "Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space."
6. "I've probably had the equivalent of college in the roads I've traveled since then, but it would have been great to go from high school right into college to study music and literature."
7. "Creative people have to be fed from the divine source. I have to get fed. I had to get filled up in order to pour out."
8. "When God forgave me, I figured I'd better do it too."
9. "Children, all your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate... I choose love."
10. "It makes me so mad that some people underestimate the wisdom and energy of young people. All because they don't look the way older folks think they should look. I'm working on a song about it. Maybe some of those closed minded people will realize long hair and tattoos don't mean they should be ignored. Close minded people are part of what's wrong with this world."
11. "You miss a lot of opportunities by making mistakes, but that's part of it: knowing that you're not shut out forever, and that there's a goal you still can reach."
12. "I'd like to wear a rainbow every day, and tell the world that everything is o.k. But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back. Until things are brighter, I'm the Man in Black."
Some famous musicians are shallow, some care more about the money than they do about the art. Johnny Cash was not one of them. He was a man with a message and these twelve Johnny Cash quotes give us a bit of insight into the man behind the hypnotic voice.
For more music quotes, check out the popular music quotes section of www.Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.