If you're a stickler for proper behavior and you feel that etiquette is a dying art, you could probably use some Emily Post quotes right about now. On October 27th we'll celebrate the birth of this remarkable woman. Let's do so in good taste with these ten Emily Post quotes regarding proper etiquette.
1. "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought, and not, as many of those who worry most about their shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit or oratory."
2. "Nothing is less important than which fork you use. Etiquette is the science of living. It embraces everything. It is ethics. It is honor."
3. "The attributes of a great lady may still be found in the rule of the four S's: Sincerity, Simplicity, Sympathy and Serenity."
4. "Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use."
5. "To the old saying that man built the house but woman made of it a "home" might be added the modern supplement that woman accepted cooking as a chore but man has made of it a recreation."
6. "The good guest is almost invisible, enjoying him or herself, communing with fellow guests, and, most of all, enjoying the generous hospitality of the hosts."
7. "She must not swing her arms as though they were dangling ropes; she must not switch herself this way and that; she must not shout; and she must not, while wearing her bridal veil, smoke a cigarette."
8. "Manners are made up of trivialities of deportment which can be easily learned if one does not happen to know them."
9. "The most vulgar slang is scarcely worse than the attempted elegance which those unused to good society imagine to be the evidence of cultivation."
10. "Any child can be taught to be beautifully behaved with no effort greater than quiet patience and perseverance, whereas to break bad habits once they are acquired is a Herculean task."
I wonder what dear Emily would think of today's youth? It seems that etiquette is somewhat of a dying art if current behaviors are any indication of the future. Is society de-evolving rather than moving forward? We should hope not. Let's remember what sets us apart from the cavemen and why manners are of importance as we remember the etiquette expert on her birthday. We can start by reflecting on these ten Emily Post quotes.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at www.Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.