Very few news anchors have been as trusted and respected as Walter Cronkite, so we're celebrating his birthday this year with a few good Walter Cronkite quotes. From humor to success and everything in between, Walter has shared quite a few words of wisdom with us over the years. Here are just a few examples...
1. "I can't imagine a person becoming a success who doesn't give this game of life everything he's got."
2. "I think somebody ought to do a survey as to how many great, important men have quit to spend time with their families who spent any more time with their family."
3. "There is no such thing as a little freedom. Either you are all free, or you are not free."
4. "I think it is absolutely essential in a democracy to have competition in the media, a lot of competition, and we seem to be moving away from that."
5. "Objective journalism and an opinion column are about as similar as the Bible and Playboy magazine."
6. "America's health care system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system."
7. "In seeking truth you have to get both sides of a story."
8. "It is a seldom proffered argument as to the advantages of a free press that it has a major function in keeping the government itself informed as to what the government is doing."
9. "Television is a high-impact medium. It does some things no other force can do-transmitting electronic pictures through the air. Still, as an explored, comprehensive medium, it is not a substitute for print."
10. "Dan Rather and I just aren't especially chummy."
11. "I want to say that probably 24 hours after I told CBS that I was stepping down at my 65th birthday, I was already regretting it. And I regretted it every day since."
12. "I've gone from the most trusted man in America to one of the most debated."
13. "There's a little more ego involved in these jobs than people might realize."
14. "And that's the way it is."
Today's news reporters could learn a few things from Walter Cronkite. He was a man dedicated to reporting the facts, without ego or fanfare involved. He told us when Kennedy was shot, shared updates on wars and told us the truth about what was going on in the world. Let's help him celebrate his birthday this year. The above fourteen Walter Cronkite quotes are a great place to start.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular www.Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.