Travel, Teach, Live in the USA and Canada
If you love good food, great music, and sunny skies, you definitely must consideration making your vacation plans for one of the South's most popular destinations - Music City, USA! The name on the map actually says Nashville, Tennessee, but this busy Southern capital is so closely associated with music it should be no surprise that it's one of the first cities that come to mind when people think of popular music, and not just country and western, either. While Nashville's roots are steeped in the lore of pre-Civil War folk music and the evolution of the Opry, Nashville actually offers a blend of musical varieties, from R&B and jazz, pop/rock, and classical.
The music lures visitors, but there are many attractions around Nashville to appeal to everyone. Here are just five reasons that keep people coming back to Music City:
1) The Grand Ole Opry - You could call it the White House of country music, despite the familiar red barn setting of the stage that has launched many a music career. Site of the longest-running live radio show in the world, the Opryhouse is a showcase for the best and brightest in country, western, and bluegrass. Visitors may catch a show three times a week, or check the schedule for special performances by big name artists.
2) Country Music Hall of Fame Museum - Here is where the newly minted country superstars aspire to be. This museum is a testament to the influence of country music on the world, with exhibits illustrating the evolution of country not only as a brand of music, but as a culture. Personal items from country greats like Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, and even Elvis may be seen, as well as the famed hall of all inductees.
3) The Parthenon - Ever thought you could see a Grecian structure so magnificent in the South? The Parthenon in Nashville was built especially for the 1897 Centennial Exposition, and has since remained a popular local attraction. Visitors can tour this replica of the ancient temple of the goddess Athena, which also doubles as the Nashville Art Museum, a truly cultural center of the city.
4) Nashville Kats - Are you ready for some arena football? The Nashville Kats are a big draw for sports fan local and beyond. Tickets are affordable, and each game promises great fun for the whole family.
5) The District - This beautifully restored area of downtown Nashville is always bursting with activity. Shops, restaurants and clubs line the streets of this blend of modern and restored 19th century architecture. Put on your walking shoes and shop 'til you drop!
Music, sports, history, and fun define the perfect vacation to Music City. Plan your summer trip and be prepared for a lifetime of memories
Kathryn Lively is a freelance travel writer who has contributed to FlowCushion http://www.flowcushion.com/ the alternating air pressure seat cushion for travel, for the official site of Music City http://www.visitmusiccity.com/ USA, and for The Camellia Rose Inn, a Florida bed and breakfast http://www.camelliaroseinn.com/ situated in the historic Gainesville area.