English schools in Latin America
St. Andrew’s Scots School was established by a group of Scottish settlers determined to educate their children in their language, their culture and their faith. On the 1st of September 1838, thirteen years after the arrival of those settlers, a tiny school was opened in the Presbyterian Church, at Piedras 55 in the city of Buenos Aires. The first pupils were girls, but the school rapidly became co-educational.
St. Andrew’s has now stabilized as a school of approximately 1900 students who receive a fully bilingual education. All its students are expected to complete seven IGCSE exams (Cambridge University) in year 10 and receive an International Baccalaureate diploma in their last year at school. This challenging education prepares its graduates to enter excellent universities all around the world and, more significantly, should provide them with the disposition and habits that allow them to become thoughtful and caring citizens.