English schools in Latin America
Classes in grades nursery through five are self-contained. Specialists give classes in Special Needs, Art, Music, Library, Physical Education, English as a Second Language, Spanish, and Computer Science.
CIC offers an accredited curriculum (with electives) through grade twelve.
Members of the Committee on Latin American Schools of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools believe there are certain characteristics which an international school must possess to be considered for accreditation as an American school. The Committee believes that it is reasonable to expect the following profile characteristics of an International-type school:
- A Board-approved statement of philosophy which encompasses a commitment to provide a quality International-type education.
- An International curriculum equivalent to international schools.
- Instruction that is conducted in English/Spanish except for language courses or other courses required by local law.
- A course of studies that prepares elementary students for acceptance in an International type secondary school program.
- A program of studies in the secondary school that prepares students to be transfered to other international schools around the world or to be considered for acceptance into any college or universitiy.
- Qualified directors and principals with International training and eligible for certification as administrators.
- A staff that has International teaching credentials or a four-year equivalent degree.
- Material, equipment, supplies, etc., to support an international curriculum.
Colegio Internacional de Carabobo in Valencia, State of Carabobo, Venezuela, was organized in 1955 by four companies: Celanese, Firestone, Goodyear, and U.S. Rubber.
In 1958, a ten-classroom school was constructed in El Trigal, a residential section of Valencia. During the 1962-63 school year, a library, four classrooms, showers and dressing rooms, and a photographic darkroom were added. In 1968, the high school building was constructed and was opened for classes on September 2. The building consisted of two science laboratories, a computer laboratory, classrooms, a lounge, and offices. Today the high school library wich was constructed in 1968, houses 8,000 volumes. A dining hall and a middle school were added during the early 1980's. Another addition, a multi-purpose recreational building, was completed in August of 1988. Most recently, two annexes, a lower primary building, a second middle school level, and a maintenance complex have been added. Over the years, the enrollment has fluctuated between 200 and 450 students.