Learn to TEACH English with TECHNOLOGY. Free course for American TESOL students.

TESOL certification course online recognized by TESL Canada & ACTDEC UK.

Visit Driven Coffee Fundraising for unique school fundraising ideas.

Texas ISD School Guide
Texas ISD School Guide

Travel, Teach, Live in Korea

How to Obtain a Korean Student Visa

Studying abroad can be a great way to expand your horizons and become familiar with another culture. Over 1,200 American students choose to study abroad in Korea each year, according to the Korea Times. A Korean student visa is known as a D-2 visa, and it requires an application and an application fee.

Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for a Korean student visa before you spend the time and money to apply. D-2 visas are only available for those who have already been accepted to study at a Korean college or university and will be obtaining a bachelor's degree or higher.

Find your local Korean embassy or consulate by visiting the website of the Korean embassy. The link under Resources provides a full list of Korean consulates in the United States. Make a note of the Korean consulate closest to you and write down the mailing address and telephone number. You will need this information to submit your student visa application.

Download and fill out the Application for Visa Issuance available on the Korean Immigration website. You will need to fill out your personal information, passport number, length and reason of your stay in Korea and how you will pay for your trip. Sign the application in the appropriate place.

Gather the required documents. You will need a photocopy of your passport, the visa application you filled out in Step 4, a color passport photo no larger than 3.5 cm by 4.5 cm, and an admission letter from the Korean college or university. You will also need a certificate showing your last academic achievement, which in most cases is a copy of your high school diploma if you will be studying for a bachelor's degree in Korea. In addition, you will need a certificate of your bank balance showing you have funds available to pay for the trip. If you are still a dependent and your parents will be paying for the trip, include a copy of their bank balance.

Write a check--or have your parents write a check--for the Korean student visa application fee. The fee is $50 for a single-entry visa and $80 for a multiple-entry visa. The check should be made out to the Embassy of Korea.

Gather all of the documents you tracked down in Step 5, and fold them together with the check you wrote in Step 6. Insert them into an envelope with another another self-addressed stamped envelope so that the Korean consulate can mail you your visa.

Go to another board -