Learn to TEACH English with TECHNOLOGY. Free course for American TESOL students.

TESOL certification course online recognized by TESL Canada & ACTDEC UK.

Visit Driven Coffee Fundraising for unique school fundraising ideas.

Texas ISD School Guide
Texas ISD School Guide

Travel, Teach, Live in Japan

How to Apply for a Work Visa to Japan
By:Eric Som

If you are interested in working in Japan, you must apply for a Working visa. You must receive employment from a Japanese company as a professor, artist, religious activities, journalist, investor/business manager, legal/accounting professional, medical professional, researcher, instructor, engineer, or specialist in humanities/International Services to qualify for Working visa. In addition, the Japanese company must be at least one year old before it can hire you for a Working visa. You must apply for your Working visa in person at a Japanese embassy or consular office that has jurisdiction over your state of residence.

Have the company that has offered you the job file for a Certificate of Eligibility on your behalf at the regional immigration office of your intended place of work.

Have the Japanese company mail you an original copy of the approved Certificate of Eligibility. Make a copy of the certificate.

Get a color 45 mm x 45 mm photograph taken of yourself within six months of your visa application.

Visit the Embassy of Japan in the United States homepage and then download a Visa Application form (see Resources).

Print the application and complete the form by hand, making sure to answer every question. If a question does not apply to your case, write "N/A."

Affix your passport photo your completed visa application form

Visit the Japanese embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over your area of residence (see Resources) and submit your application and supporting documents, including your valid passport.

Collect your visa, upon receiving notification from a Japanese Consulate/Embassy staff that your visa has been approved, by going back to the embassy or consulate at which you applied. You may be required to attend a visa interview before your application is approved.

Go to another board -