International ESL Jobs
Date: 13 August 2015
Fields is a small English school, about 70 students, located in a quiet neighbourhood free from the hustle and bustle of normal city life yet with easy access.
It has started its activities just 4 years ago and it is seeking to expand its number of students both for adults and kids courses. It is run my Iza Ferreira. I am an ESL Certified Teacher Foreign Language Teaching Skills Certificate by Award Body Consortium, England; In-service Certificate in English Languate Teaching (ICELT) by Cambridge University; and English Language Teaching Certificate by Notingham Trent University, England. I hold a CPE Certificate from Cambridge. My major is in Economics Science and I hold a MSc in Economic Sociology. I have lived 4 times abroad, 3 times in England and 1 time in South Africa. I teach English since I was doing my post-graduation and I just loved it to the point of deepening my studies in the area. Having taught English for about 15 years in English schools in my home city I decided to start my own project with a different view from General English which I had been teaching over the years. Thus, after coming back from England in 2010 when I did my specialization in Linguistics I started the project.
The school has been created with the view of meeting the very special needs of graduate and post-graduate students as well as professionals in São Carlos. Fields, definitely offers a different approach to English teaching in São Carlos. Our main courses was in the field of English for Specific Purposes mainly English for Academic Purposes. The usage of the English language as a tool in order to help the students to achieve their goals is strongly engrained in our methodology. However, many students and friends started asking for a course for their children too. So in 2013 Fields started teaching English to a small group of kids. Due to our innovation in the methodology, CLIL ( Content Language Integrated Learning), and its good results other children enrolled and nowadays we are about 40 children ranging from 5 to 14.
The teachers are not only free but also expected to plan their own lessons, following a syllabus based on Social Skills, Literacy, Maths, Science and Arts.
We are hiring for Feb. 2016. The applicant is expected to be willing to teach kids and adults.
Fields is based on some beliefs:
• To create an intercultural space in São Carlos where tertiary students, both undergraduate and post-graduate, as well as professionals can experience a new approach to using the English language. In our school the students are invited to take part in various school activities.
• The students should take responsibility for their studies.
• All learners have special needs which must be addressed. In order to meet the students’ needs tutorials are offered as part of the course.
• Alternative assessment based on portfolios which focus on documenting the student’s growth over time.
• Motivation is a key factor in second language acquisition.