Travel, Teach, Live in Europe and Middle East
Munich is one of Germany''s most beautiful cities, famous worldwide for its exquisite architecture and its enviable cultural scene. It is also proud host to the annual Oktoberfest. From ballet fans to big beer drinkers, Munich has something for everyone.
If you''re thinking of taking a city break or a summer holiday in Munich, here are a few things you might like to include in your travel schedule:
1. With so many fabulous Munich hotels to choose from you could find yourself spoilt for choice. If you are looking for a little luxury, The Anna Hotel comes highly recommended. Comfortable and infinitely chic, those with an eye for style cannot help but be impressed by the impeccable design of this top class establishment.
2. Oktoberfest isn''t your only opportunity to overindulge on beer in Munich. In fact, any time of year at all will do. Simply head along to your nearest beer hall or, more pleasant in the summer, one of the many attractive beer gardens, and sup your fill.
3.With an already extensive collections of museums and galleries, the Museum.Brandhorst has done well to make a name for itself so quickly on the Munich art scene. Featuring a range of modern artworks by Udo and Annette Brandhorst, this is a real treat for modern art fans.
4. If the performing arts are more your thing, head along to the National Theatre and catch a performance by the Bavarian National Opera Company - highly acclaimed and thought to be one of the best in the world.
5. There are many markets to explore in Munich, but Elizabethmarkt is particularly charming. Take your time perusing the stalls, grab a bite to eat and treat yourself to a few artisan souvenirs before taking your shopping trip up a notch along the boutiques lining nearby Elizabethstrasse.
6. Finally, if you fancy escaping the city for an afternoon, a quick trip to Schloss Schleissheim will be well worth your trouble. A short ride on the S-Bahn and you will find yourself surrounded by breathtaking baroque architecture. There are extensive grounds to explore and a large beer garden to enjoy, so pick a sunny day for a relaxing, cultural experience.
Zenobia Vuturo is a freelance writer and frequent traveller. www.Octopustravel.com provide a range of useful accommodation choices across a variety of fantastic destinations worldwide including Munich hotels.