Date: 13 November 2017
RYAN PAUL BRUX
Eau Claire, WI 54701
Phone (715) 210 – 3477
Email [email protected]
American College of Education – Indianapolis, IN, Ed.D. Educational Leadership/International Education
City University of New York, Hunter College – New York, NY, M.A. TESOL
University of Minnesota, Morris – Morris, MN, B.A. Political Science
Mount Royal University – Calgary, Canada, Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes
International TEFL Teacher Training (ITTT) – Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
Director, TEFL Certification, ELS Educational Services – Boston, Massachusetts (2014 to Present)
• Director and Lead Trainer for 120-hour onsite TEFL Certification Program.
• Develop and maintain curriculum with clear performance objectives.
• Communicate with ELS centers in the US and abroad, and work with ELS Sales Directors to promote and grow the TEFL certificate program.
• Design systems to evaluate the efficiency and insure ongoing quality of the TEFL program.
• Work with the District Director to maintain the fiscal operations of the program.
English Language Specialist, U.S. Department of State – Ecuador, Bolivia, & Uruguay (2014 to Present)
• Assist U.S. Embassies in delivering and maintaining quality English language programs overseas and promoting mutual understanding between the U.S. and other countries in South America.
• Plan, organize, and implement 3-4 day intensive English camps based on specific content areas.
• Train teachers on how to implement camp activities that support targeted learning objectives.
• Turn-key information through professional development workshops and conferences.
Director, ELS Youth Summer Camp at Pepperdine University – Malibu, California (Summer, 2017)
• Managed the overall logistical aspects (i.e. transport, room/board) for 250 international students attending a 2-5 week overnight camp in Southern California.
• Supervised a staff of 30 employees, including teachers, counselors, and other support staff.
• Coordinated afternoon excursion field trips highlighting important cultural references of Los Angeles and the surrounding area.
• Managed $150K activities budget and maintained a meticulous record of all expenses.
English Language Fellow, U.S. Department of State – Tarapoto, Peru (2012 – 2014)
• Worked directly with the ANDES Regional English Language Office of the U.S. Embassy to conduct training and professional development activities to over 1000 public school teachers.
• Collaborated with the Cultural Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy to launch a series of Webinars based on American Culture and effective teaching strategies.
• Taught courses on conversation to pre-service students at the National University, San Martin.
• Organized regional English Teaching Conferences for 200+ public school teachers.
• Initiated monthly school-wide project-based learning activities on cross-cultural topics.
• Coordinated and helped to lead over 15 English Immersion Camps throughout the country.
• Developed a conversation-based curriculum based on the Pearson Top Notch Summit Series.
Lead ESL Instructor, Korea POLY Schools – Changwon, South Korea (2010-2012)
• Reported directly to school director on matters pertaining to teacher retention, teacher development, curriculum design, and instructional strategies.
• Developed curriculum and course materials in consultation with Academic Director.
• Conducted observations of teacher performance. Provided follow-up professional development opportunities to teachers.
ESL Instructor, New York City Public Schools – New York, NY (2007-2010)
• ESL Instructor for mainstream classroom English Language Learners, Grades K-5.
• Developed ESL Classroom Environment resources for classroom teachers; provided subsequent professional development for all ESL personnel in the school.
• Worked directly with the school's Principal to implement school-wide reorganization policy.
• Assisted the data specialist for ELLs; Utilized city-wide and in-house assessments to drive instructional practices for ELLs.
• Developed Title III After-School Enrichment Program based on camp themes.
ESL Instructor, Kaplan Aspect International Language Academies - New York, NY (2007)
• Instructed college-level ESL classes in Intensive English Program (IEP); academic-focused instruction included skills-based reduction through a communicative lens.
• Maintained monthly Individual Student Reports (ISRs) to document student progress.
• Assisted the Academic Director with elective curriculum planning and development.
ESL Instructor, London House School of English - Chiang Mai, Thailand (2005-2006)
• In-house and outsource teacher for Special EFL Curriculum on Conversational English for Young Learners. Provided EFL instruction to classes of up to 30 students.
• Instructed students of all levels and abilities in a variety of settings, including small groups, one-on-one, and large classroom arrangements.
• Coordinated and participated in school-sponsored events, including (but not limited to) intensive language camps, cross-cultural event planning, and community outreach.
Education Coordinator/ESL Instructor, Neighborhood House - Seattle, WA (2003-2004)
• Provided academic services and support to immigrant and refugee populations
• Collaborated with agency leaders and other community-based organizations to revive a deteriorating not-for-profit educational program. Subsequent discussions with all stakeholders lead to the implementation of a 3-year strategic plan that helped clarify the program’s mission.
AFFILIATIONS, PUBLICATIONS, AND AWARDS
• Presenter, TESOL International, “English Immersion Camps: A New Framework for Planning”, Portland, Oregon (2014)
• Presenter, Peru TESOL, “Motivation: Bringing it Back to the Classroom”, Piura, Peru (2013)
• Presenter, New York State Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, “Considerations in Push-In/Pull-Out Classrooms”, White Plains, New York (2009)
• Presenter, American Association on Higher Education (AAHE), “The Civically Engaged Student”, Phoenix, Arizona (2002)
• Golden Key International Honor Society, 2009 – Present