Date: 18 April 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
I am a mature ESL/EFL instructor from the USA with a neutral North American accent and over five years of experience teaching general ESL, ESP, business communications English and light TOEFL and IELTS test prep coaching to international high school and university students, and to professional adults in the USA and abroad.
My training and certification in Advanced TESOL and in Business TESOL, combined with my university education and years of classroom and online teaching experience have enabled me to effectively teach ESL with an inductive approach.Utilizing various popular methods, to include the Direct and the Communicative methods; I keep my classes challenging, yet engaging and productive, and I am considered by many to be a fine instructor who is enthusiastic, confident and result-oriented.
In addition to English, I have taught American Cultural Orientation and American Social Studies classes to USA-bound and USA-settled immigrants as well.
With a solid background in sales and leadership, I can also assist with student and teacher recruitment and training process, with course book and curriculum research and selection process, with designing, organizing and directing ESL conversation and activity clubs, and with design and proctoring of placement tests.
My minimum job requirements are:
- no learners younger than 10,
- guaranteed minimum monthly net income of 2000 US Dollars plus free housing or housing allowance for the entire duration of the contract, free visa sponsorship and free health insurance,
- no bonus-based or performance based pay system.......straight, honest pay for straight honest work!
- no more than 100 classroom and/or office hours per month
- free airfare to and from the host country
Thank you, and I look forward to working with you
EDUCATION and TRAINING
2010- The American TESOL Institute, USA. 160-hour certificates in both Advanced and Business TESOL.
2003- The State of Virginia, USA. licensed as an official transportation safety and emissions inspector. 2000- successful completion of a series of employer-sponsored courses in corporate etiquette and compliance, and in employee relations.
1994, 1995- Oakland Community College, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA. successful completion of an adult education coursework in PC Technology and in Telecommunications Networking.
1985- Northern Michigan State University, Traverse City, Michigan, USA. B.S. Degree in Business Administration.
- over 5 years of physical and virtual classroom teaching experience in the USA and abroad,
- overseas teaching experience with a solid background in working with persons of diverse c u l t u r e s a n d backgrounds,
- experienced in teaching general English, English for specific purposes and English for work,
- light TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge ESOL test prep coaching experience,
- proficient Inductive and Deductive presentation and communication skills to cover many diverse student learning styles and abilities,
- fine leadership and group management skills, including motivation, behavior modification, reinforcement, evaluation and feedback,
- a team player with a high level of interpersonal, organizational and tactical skills, and also adaptable and open to change,
- comfortable using various media and technology tools to support teaching and learning, e.g. White Board, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office and the Internet,
- possess extensive professional experience in various areas of business operations, to include organizational quality control and operations improvement, customer service management, employee performance management and HR support.
CURRENT and PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS
-September 2016 to present - online ESL/ESP instructor to young teens, young adults and professionals (PT) Weebly’s English, Washington, D.C., USA, www.weeblysenglish.weebly.com/, Tony Azzaro, proprietor, 001-989-217-8580
-September 2013 to August 2016 - university English prep instructor (FT) Gediz University, School of Foreign languages, Izmir, Turkey, www.gediz.edu.tr, Seyit Omer Gok, assistant director, 90-0232-355-4100
-November 2011 to June 2013 - university English prep, American cultural orientation and social studies instructor (FT)
Harriet Fulbright College, Arlington, Virginia, USA, www.harrietfulbrightcollege.com, Michael Seyfert, academic coordinator, 001-703-522-0009
-January 2010 to August 2011 - ESL/ESP and American culture instructor to young adults and professionals (PT) The American Cultural and Language Academy, Izmir, Turkey, www.amerikankultur.org.tr, Hande Özel, academic coordinator, 90-530-225-7595
RELEVANT WORK SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
- effective teaching and interacting skills with both adults and adolescents,
- effective class administration skills, including lesson preparation and monitoring learning progress,
- preparing and delivering lessons with the aim of achieving the objectives of the syllabus,
- using teaching techniques that fit the level and needs of the students, enabling them to participate purposefully in the lessons,
- making lessons stimulating, with particular emphasis on the practical use of the English language,
- maintaining student performance, attendance and academic records on a daily/weekly basis,
- administering periodic curriculum-based skills assessment and testing (oral and written),
- administering and grading mid-term and final exams, - attending all excursion, activities and staff meetings,
- maintaining appropriate levels of student discipline, safety and welfare at all times, - leading workshops on business communication skills, to include sales, management, job interviews, meetings, presentations, negotiations and workplace ethics,
- conducting laboratory sessions (computer/multimedia), - providing light TOEFL, TOEIC and IELTS coaching and guidance,
- providing student counseling on both academic and personal issues.
ENGLISH BOOKS TAUGHT
Cambridge “Grammar and Beyond”, “face2face”, “Business Advantage” and “Advanced Business Vocabulary in Use” - Oxford “Grammar Sense”, “Q: Skills for Success” and “Headway” – Pearson/Longman “Language Leader”.
NATIONALITIES and AGES TAUGHT
Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Mongolians, Malaysians, Indonesians, Hispanics, Russians, Germans, Polish, Turkish, various Middle Easterner and African students from 12 to 60 years of age