Date: 8 October 2018
OBJECTIVE: to secure a full-time job as an English instructor in Japan
EARLIEST DATE AVAILABLE: May 30, 2019
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Native English speaker
• Caucasian male
• TEFL and TESOL certified
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Presently living in Japan
• Over two years’ experience as an English teacher in the People’s Republic of China
• No dependents
• Very healthy
• No tattoos or piercings
• Clean criminal record
• Valid US driver’s license
• Moderately good at singing
• Trained actor
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Lee University, Cleveland, TN
Bachelor of Science in Ministry, spring 2012
Outstanding Freshman English Writing Award, fall 2001
Online 40-Hour TEFL and TESOL Certificate, January 2012
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
• At Best English School in Rizhao, my job involves lesson planning consultations, and teaching English as a foreign language to students aged two through sixteen in classroom environments, for approximately twenty hours per week, at the largest private English school in the city of Rizhao, Shandong, China. Various celebratory and advertising events sponsored by my school often involve script reading and public speaking on my part, as well as other methods of entertaining and interacting with large crowds from a stage. On several occasions, I have acted as a judge in English competitions, both regional and provincial.
INFORMAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
• At Lee University, I informally tutored students from China in the English language and assisted them in acculturation.
• From July 2006 to August 2006, I was a volunteer teaching assistant at two educational facilities in Murfreesboro, TN: Project Help, which is dedicated to the education of developmentally delayed infants and toddlers; and a currently closed Murfreesboro extension of the International English Institute (IEI), which is based in Nashville, TN. IEI is directed toward international students and new immigrants.
• During the summer of 2009 and during every subsequent break between college semesters until summer of 2011, I often child-sat for my oldest nephew (born April 2009) and enthusiastically took an active role in the tutoring of him in English.
PERSONALITY AND INTERESTS
I have been told that I am committed, level-headed, responsible, and emotionally perceptive. In addition, I consider myself idealistic but realistic, and creative but cautious. I enjoy learning almost as much as I enjoy teaching.
My hobbies include creative writing, professional writing, literature appreciation, classical music appreciation, and scenic photography.
Activities that I enjoy but which are not hobbies include watching documentaries, editing grammar and punctuation, explaining the intricacies of the English language, and listening to others tell me about themselves and their life experiences. I also enjoy exercising, and childcare.
Topics of personal interest include but are not limited to linguistics, pedagogy, sociology, psychology, technology, mass media, professional entertainment, classical art, and both ancient and classical literature.
August 1, 2013 to March 13, 2016 Foreign English teacher at Best English School in
Rizhao, Shandong, China
November 2012 to April 2013 Packager at an Amazon.com fulfillment center in
Murfreesboro, TN, USA
December 7, 2011 Temporary substitute voice-over artist at Lee
University, Cleveland, TN, USA
May 2011 to August 2011 Editor of memoir for Urban James DesRosier
Leavitt, Ph.D., in Spring Hill, FL, USA
May 2008 to July 2008 Third-shift clerk at On the Run in Murfreesboro,
May 2007 to July 2007 Third-shift clerk at On the Run in Murfreesboro,
April 2004 to August 2004 Deli clerk at Kroger in Murfreesboro, TN, USA
May 2002 to August 2002 Deli clerk at Kroger in Murfreesboro, TN, USA
June 2001 to August 2001 Cashier at Kroger in Murfreesboro, TN, USA