English schools in Asia
The Anglo-Chinese School was founded on 1st March 1886 by Bishop William F Oldham. With a humble beginning of 13 pupils in a small shophouse at 70 Amoy Street, the school increased its population to 104 the following year and had to move to a building in Coleman Street, where the first Methodist Chapel had already been established.
In January 1992 the Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) made its big move to its new campus at Dover Road. The site was officially opened by Dr Richard Hu, Minister of Finance of Singapore, on 1st March, 1993, the 107th anniversary of the school’s founding by Bishop Oldham, and today, the School continues to uphold its fine tradition.
Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) will offer its students to do an Integrated Programme (IP) as an alternative to the conventional Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level and ‘A’ Level system. Specially selected high-ability students will be selected to participate in a new comprehensive six or four-year IP leading to direct entrance into university. The overall programme consists of two components: a specially designed four or two-year preparatory course (Pre-IB Programme) and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP).
The school will continue to offer the Gifted Education Programme to all gifted students under both the Integrated Programme and the conventional GCE ‘O’ level programme.